Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

A303 Community Engagement News

Date:  20 March 2024

A360 Closure – More up-to-date information

Having met with key contractors/partners, I can now give a better update:

1. A direct communication link has now been established between Berwick and key players to enable us to receive quick responses to issues raised.
  2. 2nd April is still the scheduled date for the start of the road works. These road works by Southern & Scottish Electricity Network relate to the installation of power cables for the A303 mains work.
  3. To deter HGVs from using the B3083, I have requested far more visible 7.5T weight restriction signage at both entry points (A303 and A36).  I await confirmation.
  4. There will be traffic monitoring before the closure and at frequent intervals thereafter to identify issues and make any necessary changes to traffic management. The B3083 is included in this monitoring and we will receive regular updates.
  5. Our own Speed Indicator Device will serve to monitor volume and speed of traffic 24/7 which will also be very useful as additional data for the contractor.
  6. We will be requesting police assistance, whenever possible, to monitor speeding vehicles and HGVs - especially during peak hours. This will be in addition to our own Community Speed Watch group playing an important role.
  7. More than a dozen diversion signs are in place in the surrounding area – some as far away as the A350 - to indicate road closure ahead.  This is not very helpful to us as it gives road users ample time to find alternative routes.  Motorists from the west will inevitably use the A36 but those from Devizes might choose the B3083.
  8. The B3083 is an emergency services route and there is little we can do to stop vehicles from using our road however unsuitable it is for the increased traffic flow. 
  9. The A36 is not being sign-posted as a diversion route due to the low bridge at Wilton.  The only ‘official’ diversion route is the A345.
  10. I have requested a sign to be placed at the A303 entry point to the Byway (between Longbarrow junction and Winterbourne Stoke) that leads to Druids Farm to deter traffic from attempting to use it. Probably: No Access through to the A36
  11. The road from Stoford to the Woodfords where it crosses the A360 will be closed.  I am yet to find out whether there will be access from The Avenue (from Wilton) to the roundabout across to Camp Hill.
  12. The A360 will be manned 24/7 to allow access to residents and businesses that are located along the A360.
  13. Inevitably, we should expect plenty of chaos during the first few days.

If you have any concerns during the closure or wish to highlight an issue, please contact me direct or email: www.a360temporaryclosure.co.uk

A303 Update – The Latest Legal Challenge and the Muddy Road Ahead

Following the case (on two grounds) which was dismissed by the Courts in February this year, Save Stonehenge World Heritage Site (SSWHS) submitted their latest appeal on 12 March 2024.

You may recall that in July 2021, Mr Justice Holgate quashed the DCO on two grounds out of 10. The grounds for SSWHS’s current appeal are on the eight claims that were dismissed by the Court in 2021. SSWHS are requesting the Court of Appeal to overturn Mr Justice Holgate’s original judgement.

We can expect a wait of 6-8 weeks while the Court of Appeal decide whether there is a case to be heard.  National Highways have requested a faster response time but in the meantime they have to work within the legal constraints and therefore the road scheme is on hold until we hear from the Court of Appeal. 

At this point in time, I will not be organising any A303 presentations to the village by National Highways until we can see a clear way forward.

NB: This delay does not affect the work on the A360 and the closure will go ahead as SSEN and Wiltshire Council and not National Highways head it up.

If the case does not go to court, it is estimated that Preliminary Works will begin mid-May.  I can then give you an update on what those preliminary works entail.

If the case does go to court, we can expect to down tools until at least the end of 2024.

------------------------------------------------

Date: 15 March 2024

A303 UPDATE

Save Stonehenge WHS (aka Stonehenge Alliance) submitted their appeal on 12 March.  Details of the grounds for appeal should be available early next week.  Now it will be a wait to hear whether the Courts will agree that there is a case to be heard.  This could take 4-8 weeks.  In the meantime, National Highways have to work within the legal restraints and they expect at least 1-2 months delay on the start of preparations for the road scheme.  

A360 CLOSURE

Works are scheduled to commence on April 2nd.  For information email: [email protected]   Website: www.a360temporaryclosure.co.uk

Berwick St James planning to meet SSEN project leader next week to ascertain assistance on signage etc.

------------------------------------------------

Date: 9 March 2024

Berwick St James Parish Community Engagement News

DateA360 (THREE MONTH) CLOSURE 

Please see attached for details regarding the above road closure and diversion route. The only diversion route designated will be the A345 through Amesbury.  The A36 will not be classified as a diversion route due to the concern of trucks hitting the bridge at Wilton; nonetheless the A36 will be used extensively during this period.  I am yet to be informed of exactly when the closure will commence and where the diversion signs will be located.

We will naturally be concerned that our road will be used as a rat run during the three month closure.  I am aiming to address this issue as best I can with National Highways, SSEN, Wiltshire Council, the police and our Till Valley Councillor Kevin Daley.  The B3083 is not suitable for increased  traffic flow over such a long period of time; with the added risk to safety where the lanes narrow and there are no pavements.  The current poor state of the road will only deteriorate further with heavy use.  Although we have the 7.5T weight limit signs, this does not fully deter HGVs from using our road when bottlenecks occur.  

At the very least we will be looking for better highly visible signage regarding weight restrictions for HGVs and some form of assistance from the police when required. Our Community Speed Watch team will also play a significant part. How we discourage rat running will prove somewhat more problematic but key positioning of diversion signs will help.  As the B3083 is classified as an emergency services route, it cannot be closed or have obstacles installed to deter motorists.

A303 UPDATE

No construction work will begin before April 2025 although a number of preliminary fieldwork will commence this year.  In due course I will put details of these on our village website.

There are still obstacles on the way.  The issue at the moment is to see if there is a successful appeal from Stonehenge Alliance WHS.  Although they have stated they will be appealing against the ruling made on 19 February 2024, they have until Monday 11 March to confirm.  If they go ahead, one can expect a 4-6 week period for judgement to be made as to whether there is a case to be heard.  If the appeal does go to court, National Highways have to work within the constraints of the law and the project goes back on hold.  National Highways are not in a position to give us their perspective as to how the A303 project might be viewed by a change of government.

VILLAGE PRESENTATION

I am planning for National Highways A360 and A303 Project Managers to visit Berwick St James before the A360 closure to give us an update and where you will have the opportunity to raise your questions.   I will keep you posted.

Carolyn MacDougall