3 COTTAGES NORTH
OF PARSONAGE HOUSE (Now gone).
As well as the
Parsonage, there were 3 cottages (now all gone) north of the Parsonage, before
reaching the cottage (also gone) which was south of the Boot Inn. These were
part of the Parsonage “Estate”.
The sites of
these three were roughly where The Stable and its garden are now. The cottages
were on the road. One stood on its own, but was “down” by 1812.
The other two
(probably semi-detached), had very small plots, they were let to the Overseers
of the Poor by 1770. At that time it was the responsibility of each village to
support those who could not support themselves - the elderly, infirm, widows
and children etc. This was done within the village until the advent of the
By 1815 only one
cottage was left and by 1843 even this one had gone. The buildings, what little
there was left of them, were probably incorporated with the Parsonage yard and
paupers appear to have been housed in the converted vicarage, which was in the
churchyard in front of the church. Later still they were sent to the Workhouse
at Wilton (now
Moody’s furniture store).