Pairs - Two pairs of white houses and one pair of Flint
SITE OF ASHBURTON PAIRS BEFORE 1874
boundary (with Springside) and the northern boundary (with The Cottage) are the
old boundaries, the western boundary of these old sites reached right to the
field edge including where “The Long Barn” is now. Originally the site was
divided, somewhat unequally, into three. This was radically altered in 1874
when the pairs were built, a paddock was made along the back, and the remainder
divided equally into six.
In 1796 and
earlier they were all owned by Lord Malmesbury, but they belonged to three
different old established tenanted small farms, called in 1796 “Westons”, “Late
Widow Powell’s” and Late Loaders/Snows” and each had a house, outbuildings,
yard, garden and orchard.
This is the
southernmost, and largest, site of 2r 19p (approx 2/3rd of acre). In
the 1700’s this was tenanted by the Weston family. It had a house and yard on
it and also with 31 acres scattered about the parish - a small farm. These were
18 acres of Pasture, 1 ¾ acres of meadow in Church Marsh, 10 acres of Arable in
the North Field and about ¼ acre of woods. The Westons were also tenants of
another small farm of about the same size, which had a house - “Westons House”
on the site of 1 & 2 High St. Mary Parker nee Weston kept that farm and
this farm was taken over by Thomas Miles in 1784, although he may have lived
here to start with he was living in “Westons House” in 1799 as he also took
over the other small farm eventually. Thomas Miles had many leases in Berwick -
including the Mill. He was the tenant of this farm and house etc from 1784 to
The house itself
deteriorated and was probably used to house Mr Miles’ farm labourers, as by the
time it had returned to the Landlord Lord Malmesbury in 1814 it was no longer a
house with outbuilding, yard orchard and garden - it was just a “cot and
The village was
sold to Lord Ashburton and Mr E C Pinckney became the farmer. The house was
used for his workers.
In the 1840’s
Jonah Blanchard and his family lived here. Jonah was the son of Thomas
Blanchard who lived next door at Springside.
and Catherine (Kitty) Kill married 28th March 1839. They had at
least 8 children. Mary, Ann, Eliza, George, Robert, who died aged 3 days,
Ambrose, who died in 1859 aged 13 years, Fanny and Emily. Catherine died in
1862 aged 44. The family continued to live in Berwick for many years, in the
1880’s Jonah was 78, still a farm labourer and living with him was his son
George with his wife Jane (from Winterbourne Stoke) and their children Kate, William, Lizzie, Mary and Emily. But they were
not living here, they were at the top end by the Boot. Jonah died in 1882. In 1891 George and his family were
living in Rushton Cottage.
ASHBURTON SITE – MIDDLE AREA.
The middle site
was the smallest at 1r 29p ( a bit under ½ acre). In the 17th and 18th
centuries the Powells were a long established family in Berwick and Stapleford
being, variously, vicars, farmers, “yeomen” and “gentlemen,” and leased several
houses and much land from the landholder Lord Malmesbury, including this one.
Robert Powell the younger married Ann Loader on Oct 12th 1761.
Robert died in 1768 and “Widow” Powell took over some of her husbands land and
leases including this one. A farm worker would have lived in the house.
Thomas Miles - who farmed a great deal
of Berwick - see last month - took on the lease and also used the house for his
employees. The house and buildings were allowed to deteriorate much like the
house next door, but to such an extent that by 1814 the house was “down” and it
was back under the direct control of the landlord Lord Malmesbury. The orchard was open to those on each side,
the cobs walls which had divided the orchards from their neighbours had
collapsed due to lack of maintenance. It was stated that it would cost about £2
to £5 to repair.
The house was
repaired and by 1843 owned by Lord Ashburton (like the rest of the village) and
used by the farmer Mr E C Pinckney (who lived in Berwick House) for his farm
It is likely
that Thomas Tuffin and his family lived here in the 1840’s. Thomas and his wife
Rachel both came from Winterbourne Stoke but came to Berwick to live and raise
their family, Mary Ann born 1823, John born 1827, died aged 6 mths, William
born 1832, Thomas 1834 and Ann 1837. In 1843 Mary Ann was a 20 year old servant
and was unmarried but she had a daughter Elizabeth White. Mary Ann married John
White, a farm labourer aged 21 from Wylye on 2nd December 1843 and
had a large family -Elizabeth, Frank, Albert, George, Arthur and Mary Ann - so
hopefully everything ended happily.
This is the northern section. This was
sometimes called late Snows and sometimes late Loaders.
It is the
northernmost site with the same boundary as today with The Cottage. It was 2r
1p (approx ½ acre). The Snow family were the Lords of the Manor in the 17th
century and the Loaders were wealthy leaseholders,
It was leased by
Richard Dawkins in 1795 from Lord Malmesbury, included with the house, garden
and orchard was land amounting to 24 acres being; 1a 1r pasture in Upmarsh,
arable 2a 2r 36p in the north field, further 12a 3r 21p also in the north field
and 7 a 1r 24p on The Down. Arable land in 1792 produced a far better return
than downland as Richard Dawkins paid £2 19s 0d per year for 15 years to the
landowner Lord Malmesbury for “breaking up of the Down.” ie ploughing it.
The Dawkins did
not live in Berwick, Richard died shortly after taking on the lease, it passed
to his wife Jane, who died 3rd June 1814, and then to his son, also
Richard. Richard Dawkins the younger had the lease well into the middle of the
19th century. It reverted back to the landowner, by then Lord
Ashburton, on his death.
sub-let this small farm to the Bowns family.
Thomas Bowns and
his wife Rebecca had at least 9 children. Robert Bowns, born 1795, never
married, died aged 76 in 1868, continued to farm the same land living with his
unmarried sister and brothers until his death. Sarah, born 1796, remained
unmarried and became housekeeper to Robert, and died in 1868 aged 75. John born
in 1797, died in 1869 aged 71. Elizabeth
born 1799 married James Stanmore, a farm labourer, on 19th December
1831. Philip born 1801 died in 1877 aged 77, Stephen born and died 1804. Grace
born 1805, and unfortunately sent to a “Licensed House” as a “dangerous
lunatic” in 1847, and died the same year. James born 1809, married Dinah and
had several children. And Susannah who was born and died in 1810. Thomas died
in 1823, and Rebecca, who was possibly “deranged” by 1841, died in 1842.
By 1843 this
house was divided into two cottages, Robert living with his brothers and sister
in one, and James and his family in the other. This continued well into the
middle of the 19th century. It seems likely that Robert was still
here at the time of his death in 1868.
THE ASHBURTON PAIRS
These are the
three pairs of cottages, with Springside to the south and The Cottage to the
north. The area was originally three separate, different sized plots, but the
cottages on them were demolished, the area re-divided and six cottages built.
were built in 1874 by Lord Ashburton for his tenant Mr E C Pinckney’s
employees. Two pairs were built of rendered brick, and the other with flint and
stone. They all had five rooms and slate roofs. There used to be walls or
fences with gates between the cottages, but these have been removed to give
drives and garages.
In the late 1800’s Philip and Susan
Blanchard and their family moved here from Rushton Cottage. Philip (56)was an
agricultural labourer. Of their 8 children, four, William 18, Earnest 16, Frank
14, and Walter 12, were all employed on the farm. The first three having been
born at Gosport as Philip was in the Royal
Marines. 10 years later Philip and Susan were still here with Alexander 15, and
Harold 13, both carters on the farm.
The Keel family lived in Katia
Cottage in the late Victorian times. Richard Keel (a carter) and his wife
Elizabeth had at least six children including William, George, Robert, Herbert,
Alfred and Arthur. Elizabeth died in July 1883 aged 57 Richard re-married aged
59 in January 1885 to Sarah Whatley aged 60 of Sutton Mandevillle, daughter of
Thomas Whatley. Richard died in June 1900, but his son Herbert continued to
live here. Herbert Keel married Mary Whatley on April 26th 1900, she
also came from Sutton Mandeville, and her father was also called Thomas
Whatley. Sarah nee Whatley continued to live with her step son and his wife,
she died in January 1903. Herbert died in January 1916. The other Keel children
did well - Arthur was a sergeant in the 1st Battalion Wilts
Regiment. William a sergeant in the 69th foot, and George was the
publican of The Boot Inn for many years.
“Ashburton” Cottages were bought by Druid’s Lodge Estate at the 1921 farm sale.
In the 1930’s Mr George White and his daughter Maud lived in Godwins Cottage.
Mr and Mrs Harrison and their daughter Fran lived in Katia Cottage. Mr Hurst
lodged with the Harrisons, he and Mr Harrison
worked at Druid’s Lodge Stables. Eventually both houses were sold and are now
Robert Keel, son
of Richard and Elizabeth Keel who lived near by in Katia Cottage, lived here in
the late 1800’s. He was a carter, in 1891 he (31) his wife Kate(30)
and Florance 8, Percy 6, Rose 4, Mabel 7mths. They also had two lodgers, George
Marshal a carter and James Marshall a farm servant, who probably worked at The
House as a groom or under coachman. Robert and Kate
married in 1880, aged only 20 and 19. They lived here for many years.
In the 1930’s Mr
and Mrs Scott, and Monty Miles her father lived here. Mr Miles was the
blacksmith, who worked in the Forge, where the Farm shop is now.
THE OLD POST
Victorian times Jacob Rolfe and his family lived here. His mother and father,
Richard and Jane, and his brother Samuel were living here too. Richard and Jane
Rolfe and their family moved to Somerset in about 1860 but returned only 3 or 4
years later. Richard was a farm worker all his life. Jane died in 1876 aged 76.
For a time Jacob
Rolfe was the miller here, but he also did farm work. His wife Kate died in May 1900 aged 35. He was left with two
children Harry (born 1890) and Ernest born 1893. They had also had a child Alfred
Emmanuel who was privately baptized in February 1899 and died in the same month.
In the 1930’s it
was the Post Office, run by Mr and Mrs Adlam-Eyers. William Adlam-Eyers took
over as sub post master on 1st May 1929 when Tom Kitley retired. He
remained as subpostmaster until 31st August 1946. Then the Post Office moved to The Old Post
Office Stores when Oakey Edwards became subpostmaster on 20th
Mrs Eyers was
the headmistress of Berwick
School for 27 years. Mr
and Mrs Eyers used to live at The Old School House, but moved when the village
was sold in 1921. Mrs Louisa Adlam-Eyers died in May 1944, and Mr Eyers in
northerly pair of these cottages, although built in 1874 and of the same
internal design as the other two pairs, are built of stone and flint, and are
not rendered. They also passed with the farm through various owners until
bought by Druids Lodge in 1921. They are now privately owned.
In the late
Victorian times the Witchell family lived here. John Witchell was 64 in 1901,
his wife Leah 50, and their children Charles, 22, an agricultural labourer,
Arthur 16 a carter, Alfred 14, and Ada
10. John had lived all his life in Berwick, he was born in 1838 to William and
Jane Witchell, married on July18th 1874 to Leah Elliot a servant from
Stapleford, and died in March 1929 aged 91 years, Leah Witchell died in June
1930. They had a tragedy in their
family. Their son Charles died suddenly in November 1910, and it was reported
in the Salisbury Journal. Charles Witchell was a shepherd for the Berwick
farmer Mr Stephen Furness. He was at work as usual on Tuesday, went home for
tea at four then went to the Reading Room. he came home for supper of bread and
cheese and went to bed at 9 0’clock. He had a bad headache at midnight and died
about 2am. The verdict was death from natural causes.
In the 1930’s Mr
and Mrs Freddie Keel lived here, he worked for Mouldings.
At the end of
the 19th century modern life had come to Berwick, for living in this
house was Arthur Sanger, a Traction Engine Driver.
He, and his wife
Jane, had lived in Compton Chamberlayne, then moved to Winterbourne Stoke. they
left there in about 1890 to come to Berwick. They had two children, Gilbert
(aged 15 in 1901) who was a carter, and Ralph 11.
In the 1930’s
Tommy Keel lived her. He worked for Mouldings and cycled to work every day. He
was a bachelor for many years, then married his evacuee, she survived him for
written by Nicky Street.