Cottage is the little cottage on the right roughly where
the horse is.
probably built in the early 1600’s, one room with a “semi-attic”, it was
extended many years ago, and the rear part built recently. It is likely that
the plot remains the same size now.
In the 1700’s it
was leased by Joyce Everett, then Thomas Gilbert from the land owner. It may
have been the Blacksmith’s House and Shop (forge) then - in which case Robert
and Jean Selwood lived and worked here. Then the Dyer family lived and worked
here. In 1791 Henry Dyer leased “A Cottage, Garden, Blacksmith’s Shop and
Orchard” from Lord Malmesbury. His son William, also a blacksmith took over, he
died in 1845. His son George then took over, in 1851 he was a self employed
Blacksmith employing one man, his brother Charles. Charles moved to Heytesbury
and set up as the blacksmith there. He died in 1926 aged 100.
George and his
family continued to live here for many years, the blacksmithing continuing in
the family, But in 1875 his wife Emily died, and George was living on his own
here in 1891 - no longer a blacksmith on his own account, but employed by the
farm. By 1898 the forge had gone, as the farm had its own where Old Forge Farm
Shop now is. George Dyer died in 1914 aged 91. His daughter Annie
Miles, a blacksmith, and they were living here in 1901.
In the 1920’s Mr Cutler, the gamekeeper for the
Collins’ family lived here, He had mutton chop whiskers and drove a donkey
cart. Then Mr Maddock, the shepherd, lived here for many years. It was not sold
when the bulk of the village was sold in 1945, but was let. Later
it was sold, and is now a private house.