SPRINGSIDE. HOUSE and GARDEN at LANE END.
Springside is the first house
on the left -Please send any better photos to the Webmaster!
This is a
cottage built in the late 1600’s mainly of stone and flint with a brick north
wall, and mainly chalk south wall. It has been greatly re-built over the years,
including conversion into two cottages, and back to one. It has always been a
small site, just 10 perches.
let Springside on 16th February 1793 to Thomas Blanchard then aged
26. He and his family lived in this cottage for over 50 years. Thomas and
Elizabeth Blanchard had at least five, possibly more children. Maria (1789), Jonathan (1800), Jonah (1801), Issachar
1806, George(1810). Most of the children grew up, married, worked and lived in
Berwick. Jonathan married Louisa Kill on 19th May 1828 and had a
large family, he was a farm worker, who spent his last years in the paupers
tenements in the old vicarage and died in the Workhouse in 1890. Thomas was a
farm worker, firstly for Lord Malmesbury’s farmer (firstly Coombs, then Miles,
then Godwin). Then for E C Pinckney, farmer for Lord Ashburton. He also served
as Parish Clerk from before 1824, for 21 years, until his death.He saw many
changes. Jonathan Blanchard took over as Parish Clerk after his father’s death.
Thomas died in November 1845 aged 77 and Elizabeth
in November 1849 aged 79.
was converted into two cottages each of four rooms with tiny gardens. In the
first cottage in 1881 lived Philip Ings and his family. He had been coachman
for Mr Pinckney at Berwick House. Jane and Philip had a troubled life. Their
son Charles was described as an imbecile. Their other children died young, Jane
aged 1 ˝, Mary 2 ˝, John only 5 months, even Marianne born in 1856 died in 1877
aged 21. Jane died in June 1891 aged 72, Philip November 1895 aged 76. Charles
was then left and presumably went into some sort of care as he died in March
1898 aged 47 having been living at 47
Imber Rd Warminster, and not, as would be expected
in Wilton Workhouse.
Robert and Diana
Carter, their daughter Jane, in her twenties, a domestic servant, and their
grandson Edwin Carter, and Diana’s father Thomas White, lived in the second
cottage in the 1880’s and 1890’s. Robert, a farm worker all his life, died in
1892 in Wilton Workhouse, and his wife Diana lived another 13 years but she
also died at Wilton Workhouse.
At the turn of
the century Alfred Maton, a retired agricultural worker, his daughter Sarah
aged 50 and his grandsons Arthur and Edgar Maton lived in the first cottage.
Alfred died in March 1904 aged 77.
And in the
second cottage lived James Williams and his family, previously they had been
living on the corner of Duck
Street. They all worked on the farm - William 17
and Frederick 15 both “teamsters”, George 13, a shepherd, and Bessie, 8, and
Mildred, 4. They had several other
children, two of whom died young.
In 1921 it was
described as Two Cottages made of Stone Flint and Slate, with Gardens and a
Good Pump Water supply. In the 1930’s the Dibden family lived here. Mr Dibden
had lost his sight and made door mats. It continued as one of the farm cottages
for the Collins and Bucknell farms, it is presently let.
Researched and written
by Nicky Street