Cottage is the house on the left by the telegraph pole
- opposite The Boot Inn
HOUSE EXCEPT ONE.
Rushton Cottage is now the uppermost house
excepting those which were built in the 20th century. There was a
cottage beyond it, in 1729 it was owned by the Biggs family of Asserton, but by
1812 it was only an Orchard, and the house was “down”.
Rushton Cottage was one of the few properties
owned by Lord Chedworth . He, and his Grobham ancestors (from Great Wishford)
had bought 294 acres, a house and four cottages from the Bonham family in 1598,
who had it from the Daubney family in 1302. All of this was sold to James
Harris Lord Malmesbury in 1807, uniting it with the rest of the village.
Edward Haynes leased this house from 8th
May 35th year of Charles II
Edward Haynes (his son) married Mary Coley on 28th
August 1722, and on 30th September of the same year their daughter
Elizabeth was baptized.
In 1729 Edward Haynes (the son) surrendered the
lease for £10 and arranged a new lease between Sir Richard Howe and himself on
the lives of himself and his daughter Elizabeth now aged 7. It “contains about
5 luggs in Berwick St James the uppermost house in the street of Berwick St
James aforesaid except one…. with
liberty for keeping one cow on the downes.” This is administered by the Steward
of Lord Chedworth at the Manor of Stapleford, rather than the steward of
Berwick St James.
In 1772 George Gilbert became the tenant. Then
James Carter cordwainer [bootmaker] leased in 1781 “all that Little Dwelling
House with garden plot.” He lived here and
it was still called “Carters” in 1812 even though James Carter had died
By 1796 it was leased to Robert Hayden, he still
leased it in 1843, but he didn’t live here.
Lord Chedworth’s land was bought by Lord
This house is now the uppermost house excepting
those which were built in the 20th century. There was a cottage
beyond it, in 1729 it was owned by the Biggs family of Asserton, but by 1812 it
was only an Orchard, and the house was “down”.
In the early 1840’s Thomas Harman, a harness
maker, and his family and a lodger lived here. They lived here for another 30
years at least, until they moved to one of the cottages further down. Thomas
died in 1885 aged 71, and Elizabeth his wife in 1891 aged 79.
In the late 1870’s this house began to be used
by the farm workers. The first was Philip Blanchard aged 46 a pensioner from
Royal Marines who had been born in Berwick, his wife Susan and children, 5 of
who had been born at Gosport. He died in 1914
aged 80, having been a farm worker the rest of his life. But the family moved
to Godwins Cottage before 1891 and were there in 1901.
Then George Blanchard and his family lived here,
it was a good sized house - 9 rooms, needed for George and Jane and their six
children, the oldest William was aged 28 in 1901.
sold with the rest of the village in 1921. Being “a detached cottage,
containing 3 bedrooms, Kitchen, scullery, coal House and pantry.” The
Blanchards continued to live here, but by the 1930s Mrs Muriel Ashford and her
son Derek, were living here.
Researched and written by Nicky Street.