Lodge Cottages is the thatched
house on the left
This is the cottage at the end of the
Berwick House drive. It has also been known as Drive Cottage and The Shophouse.
It was a two bedroomed cottage which was
extended in 1993, and recently extended again.
By the mid 1700’s the small house on this
site was called The Shophouse Cottage, with annual value of £1, it belonged,
with most of the rest of the village, to Lord Malmesbury. It was let to the
Blewden family. In 1796 to Ann Blewden, and in 1805 to Catherine Blewden. There
obviously had been a shop there for many years, but it seems it was no longer a
shop by the beginning of the 19th century - it was called Shophouse,
but no mention is made of any shop.
By 1812 it was let to William Tuffin. His
wife Mary ran a “dame school” in the village, probably in this cottage.
Although she may have moved of course! It is said that, when the boys were
disobedient she tied them to a pole that helped to prop up the interior of the
house. She died in 1832 aged 66.
Then the cottage became one of the many
used by Mr E C Pinckney for his farm workers. Later he allowed the school
mistresses to live there. In 1881 Mrs Lucy Herrington and in 1891 Miss Augusta
Louisa Smith aged 26 with her servant Eliza Tuffin aged 13, whose family lived
It had 5 rooms with Garden, Outhouse and
Closet in 1898.
In 1901 Arthur White, a carter, aged 36
married to Selina with 5 young children lived there, and 20 years later it was
described as a Flint and Thatched Cottage with 4 rooms, wash house and pigstye.
In the 1920’s and 30’s “Mossy” Goddard and his wife Joan lived
there, he was the gardener for the Collins family at Berwick House. He was
called “Mossy” because he had no hair! In the 1940’s 50’s and 60’s Frank and
Sarah West lived there, he was the baker at Stapleford.